ad&d, as&sh, basic d&d, bfrpg, character generator, character sheet, delving deeper, henchmen, hirelings, Holmes Basic, holmes basic d&d, labyrinth lord, lists, mutant future, od&d, oec, old school gaming, original d&d, osr, osric, swords & wizardry, traveller, whitebox
I love random character generators. As a DM, they are great for quickly generating a party for a spur-of-the-moment pickup game, or for that henchman or major NPC. Here are the old-school RPG character generators I know of, let me know if there are any more out there and I’ll add them to the list (updated 2022-05-12).
- AD&D 1e (Dragonsfoot)
- AS&SH (PDF)
- AS&SH (gizmomathboy.com)
- Basic (B/X) D&D (campaignwiki.org)
- Basic (B/X) D&D (chacowingnut)
- Basic (B/X) D&D (dizzydragon.net)
- Basic (B/X) D&D (osr.smolderingwizard.com)
- Basic (B/X) D&D (totalpartykill.ca)
- Basic Fantasy RPG (andrewcooperonline.com)
- Basic Fantasy RPG (github.io)
- Basic Fantasy RPG (Quick Character Generator document)
- Classic Traveller
- Delving Deeper (character.totalpartykill.ca)
- Holmes Basic D&D (osr.smolderingwizard.com)
- Holmes Basic D&D (character.totalpartykill.ca)
- Labyrinth Lord (campaignwiki.org)
- Labyrinth Lord (truculent.org – PDF output)
- Labyrinth Lord (osr.smolderingwizard.com)
- Labyrinth Lord OEC (osr.smolderingwizard.com)
- Mutant Future
- OD&D – First three books (3 LBBs) only (osr.smolderingwizard.com)
- OD&D – First three books (3 LBBs) only (character.totalpartykill.ca)
- Swords & Wizardry Whitebox (osr.smolderingwizard.com)
- White Box FMAG (osr.smolderingwizard.com)
- White Box FMAG
Pingback: Updates to the Character Generator List and Some OSR Links | Smoldering Wizard
Yamil Gonzalez said:
OSRIC link is broken
Thanks, it seems Wizardawn’s entire site is offline. I’ve updated the list with a note.
Pingback: Wizardawn is Back! | Smoldering Wizard
Pingback: Old School Wizard Game | Xgejoyy
Alex Schröder said:
I also wrote one:
https://campaignwiki.org/halberdsnhelmets/random/en?rules=moldvay (Moldvay Basic D&D price list)
https://campaignwiki.org/halberdsnhelmets/random/en?rules=labyrinth+lord (Labyrinth Lord price list)
Very nice, thanks! I’ve updated the list.
Gazòta Sà Zoòba said:
Is there a Seven Voyages of Zylarthen character generator?
I do not know of one, but if you find one, let me know and I can add it to my list.
Mariok Soresal Hillick said:
(But haven’t found any yet…)
Alex W. said:
Here’s one for BFRPG: http://basicfantasy.andrewcooperonline.com/
Pingback: Fun with B/X D&D | Smoldering Wizard
Check out yet another B/X generator: http://chacowingnut.pythonanywhere.com/
Very nice, thank you! I’ve added it to the list.
Blue Tyson (@BlueTyson) said:
Pingback: D&D Random Character Generators – FASERIPing
Howdy! I’ve made heaps of improvements and moved my generator to GitHub Pages:
Very nice! I’ve updated the link.
Pingback: 192 Barbarians of Lemuria session recap or Remember when Hawkgirl brained Cthulhu? – Nerd’s RPG Variety Cast
Hello, I wrote a character generator for Basic Fantasy a couple of weeks ago. You can find it here: https://md2501.github.io/bfrpgcg/ and the code is on github if anyone is interested: https://github.com/md2501/bfrpgcg
Thanks for letting me know! I’ll update the page with the link when I get a chance today. The way you did cleric spell selection and the print option are very nice. Do you plan on updating the generator to add Elves/MUs at some point?
The classes/races you can pick vary according to the rolled ability scores and the requirements of the class ;) maybe I should make that clearer and grey out classes/races where ability requirements are not met instead of just not showing them at all.
Ah, I see now! I did not spend enough time clicking ‘reroll’ :). Yes, it would be good I think to add a note or grey out unavailable races/classes.